Years ago, I ran into a video clip circulating on the Internet that made me laugh so hard I thought I might never recover. I soon discovered that the comedian behind the hilarity was Kevin Fredericks, aka @KevOnStage! He and his wife, Melissa, aka @MrsKevOnStage, have supported one another’s individual endeavors for 13+ years of marriage while raising two beautiful boys. I’ve come to admire the way that they publicly celebrate one another and prioritize their family even as they build a thriving business.
This power couple bravely followed their dreams and now their talents, creativity, business acumen and sheer joy has blossomed and is paving the way for others to do the same. It has been fun to watch them and cheer from my sideline seat. I don’t know them well, but I celebrate their successes, not the least of which is their most recent win – the launch of KevOnStage Studios and its streaming platform where they are prioritizing the cultivation of minority talent both on and off the screen.
I know that you’ll enjoy taking a moment to get to know them better. I’m thrilled for you to meet them via this Q & A! Enjoy this conversation and before you go, please leave Kevin and Melissa a comment of encouragement!
Have an amazing day!
- If you could describe this season of your lives in one word, what word would it be? Why?
We would call this season harvest. After years of a whole bunch of hard work on our marriage and careers, we are starting to see the first fruits of that hard work. When you grow up poor like we did it, it seems like things are always going to be tough. Having success feels fleeting, but we believe God when He reminds us that this is just the beginning.
- In terms of your career, before you two knew you would be _______________, you almost . . .
We don’t have an answer for this one.
- In what ways do your lives ensure that your career path serves the purposes of God and encourages His people?
We try to live our lives in a way that shows what a Christian can be. So many people have bad experiences/thoughts about Christianity, and with our platform we have the opportunity to show what God’s love can look like.
- Fill in the blank. We are not very _____________ people.
We are not very complicated people.
We like to do the work we do, we like to spend time with family, and we like to laugh. We’re pretty simple people.
- Name your biggest strengths and your biggest weaknesses as a couple? How has each served you as you’ve fulfilled your purpose?
Our biggest strength is that we are really friends. We didn’t even realize how important that was early on, but our relationship was built on top of a good friendship. It is much easier to have success with that foundation.
Our biggest weakness is that we have been together for so long we can get lazy and take our love for granted. Sometimes we forget how much work it really takes.
- When is the last time you each laughed so hard that it hurt?
We laugh like that every day.
- What has been the most difficult season in your lives? How did your family get through it?
The most difficult season is our life was our transition from full-time work to full-time entrepreneurship. It coincided with Melissa 2.0, when my wife was redefining herself and her approach to the world. There were some miscommunications and old habits that had to die hard. We got through it piece by piece by taking small victories and not giving up when setbacks came. We knew that we loved each other and wanted to remain married.
- If this were your last year on earth, what would each of you spend your time doing?
We would travel and spend time with our family. We would take an around-the-world cruise.
- If you could make three wishes and there were no limitations on what you could request, what would you wish for?
A private jet. A studio lot as big as Universal. No razor bumps.
- If you could tell your younger selves anything, what would it be?
You made the right choice. Life is going to be even better than you both think it’s going to be.
*These blog interviews are designed only to be fun, informative and introductory. GB Ministries has varying levels of familiarity with each participant so their presence here does not equal our endorsement of or full alignment with theological doctrine or political perspective.